Holiday Shopping Tips
‘Tis the season – of spending. The holidays are prime time for theft, fraud, and overspending.
But not to worry! We have 7 ways that you can keep your personal information safe and help you save as you start crossing things off your gift list.
- Give yourself a budget. Figure out how much you are willing to spend and set that money aside or keep track of it as you buy things on your credit card. Don’t worry though if money is tight right now, we offer holiday loans up to $3,500. Learn More
- Know who you’re shopping for. Make your list & check it twice. Seriously though, make yourself a list of who you are going to be buying presents for so you can keep track and make sure that you don’t miss anyone!
- Do your research before buying. Don’t just one-stop-shop. Look around for the best (and lowest) prices or if any sales are going on at the time you buy.
- Use your virtual shopping cart to your advantage. Did you know if you add things to your cart and leave them there, the retailer might email you with a discount code? This is called “shopping cart abandonment.” Give it a try!
- Save your receipts. On the off chance, you need to return or exchange a gift and save your receipts to get your money back.
- Protect your private information. Don’t buy anything online over public wifi as thieves can use that to steal your information. Also, beware of deals that seem too good to be true – they most likely are. If you are not already, sign up for CardValet. With CardValet® card manager, you can receive purchase alerts, set dollar amount limits, and turn your cards “ON” or “OFF” to restrict or allow transactions at any time.
- Keep your gifts out of the hands of thieves. Beware of “porch pirates” and set up safeguards for your packages. Choose to pick up your purchase in-store, or have a trusted neighbor get your package. You can even request that the delivery service need your signature upon delivery.